RDC 2018-2019 Dance Team Information
What is the RDC Dance team?
Rainier Dance Center dance team gives focused and committed dancers (ages 6-18 yrs) the opportunity to perform and compete at regional events and dance competitions. Our dance team combines hard work and commitment with fun and a sense of community. The experience on our dance team will expand your dancer's passion and technique for dance, instill discipline, connect them with fellow committed dancers, build their confidence and performance ability and prepare them for a possible future in dance.
There are five levels of teams based on age and skill:
Mini teams: 6-8 years (Hip Hop, Jazz and Tap)
Petite teams: 8-11 years (Hip Hop, Jazz and Tap)
Junior teams: 11-14 years (Jazz, Tap and Contemporary)
Senior teams: 13-17 years (Jazz, Tap and Contemporary)
Hip Hop Teams: Ages 9 +
Who should audition for the RDC Dance team?
We want each child who auditions for our team to be focused and committed for a full year of dance
(Summer-Summer). If you’re not sure your child is ready, than it’s best to wait until you are sure.
RDC dance team is NOT recommended for dancers with only combination class experience.
Your student should have at least one year of dance experience, and have taken at least
2 classes per week for the last year.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR DANCER IS READY FOR OUR DANCE TEAM?
- If he/she is at least 6 years old and has had at least 1-2 years of dance experience, with multiple classes per week (highly recommended).
- If he/she is dancing all the time at home (practicing and/or improvising).
- If he/she takes dance classes seriously and works hard in and out of class.
- If he/she takes year round dance classes (Summer, fall and spring) and feels like dance is a part of them, not just a recreational activity.
- If he/she loves being on stage and wants more performing opportunities!
What is the commitment?
Between July 9, 2018 to June 25, 2019: Members of the dance team must commit summer dance class and choreography camp, along with school year classes, rehearsals and performances/conventions from July 6, 2018 to June 25, 2019. Students are required to:
- Attend mandatory summer choreography camps in July & August based on team(s)
- Mini teams (Ages 6-7): July 9-13: 9am-3:30pm and July 16-20: 9am-noon.
- Petite teams (Ages 8-10): July 16-20: 12:30-3:30pm and July 23-27: 9am-3:30pm
- Junior teams (Ages 11-14): July 30-Aug. 3: 9am-3:30pm and Aug. 6-10: 9am-Noon
- Senior teams (Ages 12-17): August 20-24: 10am-5pm and August 27-31: 5-8pm
- Hip Hop teams (Ages 9-17): July 14: 10am-5pm, July 15: Noon-7pm, July 28: 1:30-8:30pm, July 29: Noon-7pm, Aug. 24: 6-9pm, Aug. 25: 11am-3pm, Aug. 26: 2-5pm
- All teams: Weekly team rehearsals (summer and 2018-19 school year.
- Take the minimum class requirements for each team in both the summer and fall/spring sessions
- Mini teams: Team class + one other class + weekly rehearsal
- Petite/Junior/Senior Hip Hop or Tap teams: Team class + one other technique class (Jazz, Ballet or Contemporary) + weekly rehearsal
- Petite/Junior/Senior Jazz or Contemporary teams: Team class + 2 Ballet classes + weekly rehearsal(s).
- Hip Hop Teams: Team class + one other technique class (Jazz, Contemporary or Ballet) + weekly rehearsal
- Attend a 1.5-2.5 hour rehearsal per week, per team, separate from your regular classes and choreography camps all year.
- Participate in most of the pre-scheduled performances.
- Sign a contract and adhere to the dance team policies regarding dress/hair code, attendance, ethics and behavior.
What is the cost?
We try to offer the opportunity to get all costs covered by fundraising, but there are costs, over and above tuition and recital costumes. Annual dance team cost estimate: $750 - $1,250
- Dance team deposit due by July 9, 2018: $250 (will be used for items below)
- Choreography camp fees estimate: $100-$200 per dancer, per team
- Convention/competition fee estimate: $400-500 per dancer.
- Competition costume estimate: $50 per dancer, per dance
- Performance uniform estimate: $200-$300. Includes warm-up (jacket and pants), two RDC t-shirts, black jazz pants and black sports bra. Optional duffel and garment bag.
How do I get on the dance team?
You must audition to be on the team!
Auditions for the 2018-19 team will be held on Sunday, June 3rd from 10am-4:30pm for ages 6 and up.
- Friday, June 1st, 6:30-8:30pm: MANDATORY parent/student informational meeting.
- June 3rd audition schedule:
- Mini team Jazz/Tap/Hip Hop (Ages 6-7): 10-11am
- Petite team Jazz/Tap/Hip Hop (Ages 8-10): 11:30am-1pm
- Junior/Senior Jazz/Tap/Contemporary (Ages 11-17): 2-3:30pm
- Hip Hop team (Ages 9+): 3:45-4:15pm
How do I get more information?
Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org