RDC 2020-2021 Dance Team Information
What is the RDC Dance team?
Rainier Dance Center dance team gives focused and committed dancers (ages 6-18 yrs) the opportunity to perform and compete at regional events and dance competitions. Our dance team combines hard work and commitment with fun and a sense of community. The experience on our dance team will expand your dancer's passion and technique for dance, instill discipline, connect them with fellow committed dancers, build their confidence and performance ability and prepare them for a possible future in dance.
There are six general teams based on age and skill:
Junior Performance: 6-11 years (Hip Hop (6-8 yrs), Contemporary, Jazz and Tap)
Junior Competitive: 6-11 years (Hip Hop (6-8 yrs), Contemporary, Jazz and Tap)
Senior Performance: 12+ years (Contemporary, Jazz and Tap)
Senior Competitive: 12+ years (Contemporary, Jazz and Tap)
Hip Hop Performance: 9+ years
Hip Hop Competitive: 9+ years
Who should audition for the RDC Dance team?
We want each child who auditions for our team to be focused and committed for a full year of dance
(Summer-Summer). If you’re not sure your child is ready, than it’s best to wait until you are sure.
RDC dance team is NOT recommended for dancers with only combination class experience.
Your student should have at least one year of dance experience, and have taken at least
2 classes per week for the last year.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR DANCER IS READY FOR OUR DANCE TEAM?
- They are at least 6 years old and has had at least 1-2 years of dance experience, with multiple classes per week (highly recommended).
- They are dancing all the time at home (practicing and/or improvising).
- They take dance classes seriously and works hard in and out of class.
- They take year round dance classes (Summer, fall and spring) and feels like dance is a part of them, not just a recreational activity.
- Their current teachers recommend they audition.
- They love being on stage and wants more performing opportunities!
What is the commitment?
Between July 6 2020 to June 25, 2021: Members of the dance team must commit summer dance class and choreography camp, along with school year classes, rehearsals and performances/conventions from July 6, 2020 to June 25, 2021. Students are required to:
- Attend mandatory summer choreography camps in July, August & September based on team(s).
- Take the minimum class requirements for each team in both the summer and fall/spring sessions
- Junior PERFORMING Hip Hop (ages 6-8) or Tap teams: Team class + one other technique class (Jazz, Ballet or Contemporary) + weekly rehearsal
- Junior COMPETITIVE Hip Hop (ages 6-8) or Tap teams: Team class + two other technique classes (Jazz, Ballet or Contemporary) + weekly rehearsal
- Senior PERFORMING Tap team: Team class + one other technique class (Jazz, Ballet or Contemporary) + weekly rehearsal
- Senior COMPETITIVE Tap team: Team class + two other technique classes (Jazz, Ballet or Contemporary) + weekly rehearsal
- Junior or Senior PERFORMING Jazz or Contemporary teams: Team class + one Ballet class + weekly rehearsal(s).
- Junior or Senior COMPETITIVE Jazz or Contemporary teams: Team class + two Ballet classes + weekly rehearsal(s).
- Hip Hop PERFORMING Teams: Team class + one other technique class (Jazz, Ballet or Contemporary) + weekly rehearsal
- Hip Hop COMPETITIVE Teams: Team class + two other technique classes (Jazz, Ballet or Contemporary) + weekly rehearsal
- All teams: Weekly team rehearsals (summer and 2020-21 school year)
- Take the minimum class requirements for each team in both the summer and fall/spring session
- Attend a 1.5-2.5 hour rehearsal per week, per team, separate from your regular classes and choreography camps all year.
- Participate in most of the pre-scheduled performances.
- Sign a contract and adhere to the dance team policies regarding dress/hair code, attendance, ethics and behavior.
What is the cost?
We try to offer the opportunity to get all costs covered by fundraising, but there are costs, over and above tuition and recital costumes. Annual dance team cost estimate: $750 - $1,250
- Dance team deposit due by July 15, 2020: $250 (will be used for items below)
- Choreography camp fees estimate: $100-$200 per dancer, per team
- Convention/competition fee estimate: $400-500 per dancer.
- Competition costume estimate: $60 per dancer, per dance
- Performance uniform estimate: $200-$300. Includes warm-up (jacket and pants), two RDC t-shirts, black jazz pants and black sports bra. Optional duffel and garment bag.
How do I get on the dance team?
You must audition to be on the team!
Auditions for the 2020-21 team will be held on Sunday, May 31st from
10am-4:00pm for ages 6 and up.
- Saturday, May 30, 2020: 5:30-7:00pm: MANDATORY parent/student informational meeting for all new dance team auditioners.
How do I get more information?
Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org